- Review plans and issue permits for private water wells and sewage disposal systems.
- Inspect new or repaired water well installations and private sewage disposal systems.
- Conduct mortgage surveys of properties served by private water wells and private sewage disposal systems for property transactions.
- Give assistance in disinfection of contaminated wells.
- Provide assistance in design and problem solving consultation.
- Receive complaints on any failing systems, or abandoned wells.
- Ensure that abandoned wells are properly sealed.
- Sample and monitor non-community water supply systems.
- Provide presentations to schools and organizations on ground water protection.
- Sponsor annual forums for the purpose of exchanging ideas and networking with local septic contractors.
- Collect water samples from private water supplies for laboratory analysis.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING A WATER BOTTLE OR EFFLUENT BOTTLE
- Water or effluent bottle must be obtained from the Tazewell County Health Department during working hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- The cost for a water bottle is $25 and the effluent bottle is $35, and must be paid for at the time of purchase.
- Water bottles are accepted back at the Tazewell County Health Department Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 am to 2:30 pm, and the sample must be collected the same day of delivery.
- The water sample results are sent to the owner as soon as the results are received. Results take approximately one week to arrive.
- Effluent bottles are accepted back at the Tazewell County Health Department, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, and the sample must be collected the same day of delivery.
- The Tazewell County Health Department is offering training to homeowners on septic system maintenance. The trainings will be held at the Tazewell County Health Department, 21306 IL Route 9, Tremont. Please contact our department for registration at (309) 925-5511 or 477-2223, extension 272.
The Private Well Class
Drinking Water Systems Code
Illinois Water Well Construction Code
Illinois Water Well Pump and Installation Code
Illinois Plumbing Code
IDPH Environmental Health Website